How to Read Literature Like a Professor - Blog #4

Most interesting chapters from chapters 18 to 22, (including the Interlude):

Chapter 18 - Humans in water basically goes down to whether we survive or drown. Being rescued for instance could possibly be as simple as good fortune. Death in water gets a little more complicated being whether or not that person chooses to leave the world. Drowning always serves a purpose. Rain is restorative/cleansing and rivers represent the middle passages of our journeys.

Chapter 20 - Spring = youth. Summer = romance and passion. Autumn = decline and harvest. Winter = resentment and death. What I got out of this chapter was that autumn and its harvests equal the results on one's endeavors out of growing or just life.

Interlude - The "one story" Foster seems to bring up is the story of ourselves and what it means to be human. We are most interested in the space and time we have in the world. I also learned the meaning behind archetype and how its patterns are based on myths. They get more powerful in repetition and numbers.

Chapter 21 - Imperfection means different. In literature, a hero is "marked" in some way, setting him apart from others (hence different.)The marks each of us retains have to do with the way we live our life and our experiences. We can’t go through life unharmed or "unmarked" in this case. I really like this chapter because of the way it showed how everyone has to deal with life in different ways. I don’t think this point only coincides with literature so that's why I like it :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment