Chapters One through Five:
I feel so bad for Valentino/Achak. His life has really been rough and it's bad enough that he has to deal with this robbery in a country where all he wants is a fresh start. He really just wants to have a normal life but refuses to forget his past which I find admirable because it's made him the person he is. He talks about a lot of different places (Sudan, Atlanta, Ethiopia, etc.) so I get confused when he talks about his past because I don’t know where it occurred. His life in Sudan (I think) is interesting because there are many people in his village who marvel at everyday objects like bikes but at the same time, can feel similar emotions as teens in the US do. Since they are so foreign to me, I can’t help but think they’re much more different than the people I’m used to. I also think it’s interesting how he likes to "tell" his story to people who have wronged him like the boy in his kitchen. I have to admit it is a little strange but I think it helps him cope with difficult situations.

0 comments:
Post a Comment